Results tagged ‘ Bryce Harper ’
Washington Nationals (34-23) at Chicago White Sox (29-28)
RHP Joe Ross [5-4, 2.37] | RHP Mat Latos [6-1, 4.02]
Tuesday, June 7 l Game #58 / Road #32 l U.S. Cellular Field l Chicago, I.L. l 7:10 P.M. CT
Television: MASN2 l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
BACK IN THE WINDY CITY
The Nationals visit the Windy City for the second time in a month, this time to square off against the White Sox in a three-game Interleague series…Chicago is the third and final stop on the Nationals’ current three-city, nine-game, 11-day trek, which is the longest (by days) they’ll make this season.
- At 34-23 (.596), the Nationals have the third best record in Major League Baseball behind the Chicago Cubs (40-16, .714) and Texas Rangers (35-22, .614).
- The Nationals have played to an 19-12 (.613) record on the road thus far this season, behind only the Cubs (18-8, .692) and Seattle Mariners (19-11, .633) in MLB.
NEVER A DOUBT
The Nationals avoided the sweep on Sunday, topping the Cincinnati Reds in come-from-behind fashion…Washington trailed, 5-0, after two innings, but went on to score five runs in the fourth, three in the fifth and two in the sixth, eventually topping the Reds, 10-9…It was the Nationals’ 15th come-from-behind win of the season and the five-run deficit was their largest deficit overcome to win in 2016.
- The Nationals’ 3-4-5 hitters (RF Bryce Harper (3-for-5, 2 R), 2B Daniel Murphy (3-for-5, HR, 3 RBI, 3 R) and C Wilson Ramos (3-for-5, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R)) each collected at least three hits and two runs scored in the win…According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that was the first time since July 11, 2009 that the three players in the 3-4-5 spots in Washington’s batting order each had at least three hits and two runs scored (1B Nick Johnson, OF Josh Willingham and OF Adam Dunn) in the same game.
In seven games dating to May 29, Nationals C Wilson Ramos is 12-for-23 (.522) with two doubles, three homers, 10 RBI, two walks and eight runs scored…Ramos leads all catchers (min. 170 PA) in batting average (.350), on-base percentage (.392), slugging percentage (.569) and fewest strikeouts (20).
- Ramos leads all MLB catchers with 31 RBI, while his 56 hits are second, and his eight home runs are tied for third.
- After hitting .229 in 2015, Ramos and Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy are the only players in MLB to have increased their batting average at least 100 points from last year to this year (min. 100 PA in 2016 / 500PA in 2015), per Elias…Murphy went from .281 (2015) to .386.
The Nationals’ batters are tied with the St. Louis Cardinals and New York Mets for the National League lead in home runs (76)…Nationals hitters also rank tied for sixth in the NL in walks (198) and their 441 strikeouts are tied for the third-fewest in the National League.
Washington’s pitching staff leads Major League Baseball in strikeouts (541) and strikeouts-per-nine-innings (9.44)…The Nationals’ hurlers also rank in MLB in ERA (3rd, 3.18), strikeout-to-walk ratio (3rd, 3.45), walks/hits per innings pitched (3rd, 1.14) and hits per nine innings (3rd, 7.52).
Washington Nationals (33-21) at Cincinnati Reds (19-35)
LHP Gio Gonzalez [3-3, 3.57] | LHP Brandon Finnegan [1-4, 4.14]
Friday, June 3 l Game #55 / Road # 29 l Great American Ball Park l Cincinnati, O.H. l 7:10 P.M.
Television: MASN2 l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
WHERE THINGS STAND
Moving to a season-high 12 games over .500 with a sweep of the Phillies, the Nationals will open a three-game set at Great American Ball Park Friday evening, their first meeting with the Reds this season…This is the second stop on the Nationals’ current three-city, nine-game, 11-day trek, which is the longest (by days) they’ll make this season.
- At 33-21 (.611), the Nationals have the second-best record in MLB (Cubs, 37-15 (.712)).
- The Nationals have played to an 18-10 (.643) record on the road thus far this season, again behind only the Chicago Cubs (17-8, .680) for the best mark in the National League.
The Nationals recalled INF Trea Turner on Friday morning and placed 1B Ryan Zimmerman on the Paternity List…Turner, the No. 9 prospect in all of baseball entering this season (according to Baseball America), earned the second MLB call-up of his career by hitting .310 with a .376 on-base percentage in 50 games at Triple-A…Turner leads the International League in runs (38) and stolen bases (17) while ranking second in hits (61) and fifth in average (.310).
- Zimmerman and his wife, Heather, welcomed their second child on Thursday.
A RECORD-SETTING MONTH, HONORED APPROPRIATELY
After setting a franchise record for hits in a calendar month and leading the Major Leagues in batting average, Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy was named the National League Player of the Month for May on Thursday…Murphy ended the month of May leading Major League Baseball in batting average (.397), hits (77), and multi-hit games (26).
- In May alone, Murphy hit .416 (47-for-113) with a .434 OBP and a .673 SLG in 29 games. He collected eight doubles, seven home runs, 32 singles, 23 RBI, two walks, 17 runs scored and 14 multi-hit games…Six of his 23 RBI were go-ahead tallies, and four were game-winners…He ended the month on a 10-game hitting streak, which he extended to 11 games by going 1-for-4 in his first June contest on Wednesday night at Philadelphia.
- The 47 hits Murphy collected in May tied OF Al Oliver (August, 1982) and OF Marquis Grissom (June, 1994) for the franchise record (Nationals/Expos) for hits in a single month….Also a career high in a month for Murphy, his 47 hits were the most recorded by any NL player in any month since Melky Cabrera (51, 2012 San Francisco Giants).
- According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Murphy, who signed a three-year contract with WSH in January, is the first qualified player to post an average as high as .397 through the first two months of his first season with a new team since Roberto Alomar (.397, 1996 Orioles).
- Murphy currently leads Major League Baseball in multi-hit games (26), batting average (.397) and hits (77)…He also ranks among MLB hitters in OPS (2nd, 1.062), slugging percentage (2nd, .634), on-base percentage (3rd, .428) and doubles (T11th, 15).
- The Player of the Month honors were the first of Murphy’s career…He is the second National to earn POTM this season (also OF Bryce Harper, April)…They’re the first set of teammates to take home NL POTM in back-to-back months of the same season since Albert Pujols and Ryan Ludwick (June & July, 2009/STL), and the first NL teammates since the awards were established (1974) to sweep the season’s first two months.
With a 3-for-4 performance that included a home run, four RBI and a run scored on Wednesday night, Nationals C Wilson Ramos improved his batting average to .338 through the season’s first 54 games…Ramos leads all catchers (min. 150 PA) in batting average (.338), on-base percentage (.383), slugging percentage (.536), RBI (29), and fewest strikeouts (19).
- After hitting .229 in 2015, Ramos and teammate 2B Daniel Murphy are the only players in MLB to have increased their batting average at least 100 points from last year to this year (min. 100 PA in 2016 / 500PA in 2015), per Elias…Murphy went from .281 (2015) to .394.
In honor of the beginning of the Copa América Centenario, the soccer tournament commemorating the 100th anniversary of CONMEBOL and the Copa América, we’re flashing back to a few weeks ago when members of the Nationals had the chance to meet players from the U.S. Men’s National Team.
Before their game against the Miami Marlins on May 20, several members of the Nationals met with players from the USMNT. Nationals OF Bryce Harper and 2B Daniel Murphy exchanged jerseys (Harper) and a bat (Murphy) with USMNT goalies Tim Howard and Brad Guzan. Manager Dusty Baker also got a chance to interact with Howard, one of the heroes of the 2014 World Cup.
Video of the visit can be seen below (fast forward to 2:00 for Nationals content).
Good luck to the USMNT tonight as they begin the tournament against Colombia in Santa Clara!
Washington Nationals (30-21) at Philadelphia Phillies (26-24)
RHP Tanner Roark [3-4, 2.71] | RHP Jeremy Hellickson [4-3, 3.97]
Monday, May 30 l Game #52 / Road # 26 l Citizens Bank Park l Philadelphia, P.A. l 7:05 P.M.
Television: MASN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
ON THE ROAD AGAIN…
The Nationals open a three-city, nine-game, 11-day road trip to Philadelphia, Cincinnati and Chicago (White Sox) on Monday night against the Phillies…The trek is the longest (by days) the Nationals will make this season, matching the final regular-season trip of the year, to Atlanta, Miami, and Pittsburgh.
- The Nationals have played to a 15-10 (.600) record on the road thus far this season, the third-best mark in the NL, behind only Chicago (17-8, .680) and San Francisco (16-9, .640).
GRAND IN A PINCH
With the bases loaded in the seventh inning on Sunday afternoon against the St. Louis Cardinals, Nationals manager Dusty Baker summoned Jayson Werth as a pinch hitter against LHP Dean Kiekhefer…Werth smashed the second pitch he saw 428 feet into straightaway center field for the first pinch-hit grand slam of his career.
- The home run was the sixth grand slam of Werth’s career and his fourth career pinch-hit home run…It was Werth’s first pinch-hit home run since Sept. 20, 2007.
- It was also just the second pinch-hit grand slam in Nationals history (2005-present), joining Justin Maxwell, who clubbed the first on Sept. 11, 2007 at the Florida Marlins.
Earning the win in the Nationals’ 10-2 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals on Sunday, Nationals RHP Stephen Strasburg extended his winning streak to a franchise record (Nationals/Expos) 12 games, dating to Sept. 15, 2015…The record, which is among starting pitchers, surpassed the 11-game winning streaks of RHP Livan Hernandez (4/4-7/1/05) and RHP Dennis Martinez (5/9-7/29/89).
- In addition, Strasburg’s 9-0 record to start a season topped the 1997 8-0 start of Hall of Fame RHP Pedro Martinez (4/15-5/23/97) for a new franchise record (Nationals/Expos).
- The Nationals are 15-0 in Strasburg’s last 15 starts (also dating to Sept. 15, 2015)…The 15 straight team wins is also a franchise record (Nationals/Expos), and is the second-longest active streak in MLB (CHI RHP Jake Arrietta, 23 games).
FEELING RIGHT AT HOME
Nationals OF Bryce Harper returns to Philadelphia Monday night riding a six-game home run streak (7 HR) at Citizens Bank Park…When the Nationals visited Philly in April, Harper joined Ernie Banks (1955) as the only visiting players to homer in six straight games IN Philadelphia.
- In 31 career games at Citizens Bank Park, Harper is now hitting .325 with four doubles, three triples, 11 home runs, 23 RBI,12 walks, 21 runs scored and four stolen bases.
- Harper also tied the MLB record for any visiting player at any stadium with his sixth straight HR game at CBP…Via the Elias Sports Bureau, the most recent player with HRs six straight road games at one venue was MIA OF Giancarlo Stanton at Coors Field (2011-2012).
Washington Nationals (24-16) at New York Mets (22-17)
RHP Stephen Strasburg [6-0, 2.95] | RHP Matt Harvey [3-5, 4.93]
Thursday, May 19 l Game #41 / Road #22 l Citi Field l New York, N.Y. l 7:10 P.M.
Television: MASN/MLBN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
BEST. START. EVER.
The Nationals reached the approximate quarter pole of the season on Wednesday night, and their 7-1 victory over the Mets sealed the best start in Nationals history (2005-present) through the season’s first 40 games…No previous Nationals team won as many as 24 of its first 40 games (2015 & 2012 teams went 23-17).
- The Nationals will look to take the series here in New York Thursday night before traveling to Miami for a weekend set…The Nationals have played to a 12-9 record on the road in 2016…Since the start of the 2014 season, Washington is 15-7 at Citi Field.
SO…WHAT BRINGS YOU TO FIRST BASE TODAY?
The Nationals matched a club record (2005-present) and re-set their season high with 11 walks in Wednesday night’s game, including five issued by Mets RHP Bartolo Colon, who hadn’t walked back-to-back batters in nine years but did it twice in Washington’s 7-1 victory…The 11 free passes to first base were the Nationals’ most since Aug. 9, 2006 vs. Florida.
- The Nationals, who also struck out 11 times, are the first team to post at least 11 walks and 11 strikeouts in a nine-inning game since the Mets did so vs. the Chicago Cubs in 2007, per the Elias Sports Bureau.
A WALK. I WALKED.
Nationals RF Bryce Harper’s streak of walks in 10 straight games may have come to an end on Tuesday night, but he was right back at it on Wednesday, walking four times for the fourth time in his career (second time this season: 6 at CHI)…Harper, who leads the Major Leagues in walks with 45, has now drawn 28 walks in his last 12 games alone…According to Elias, the only other player in modern MLB history (since 1900) with 28 walks in a 12-game span was Barry Bonds in 2004…Bonds did so several times that season, reaching a high of 30 BB.
- Harper’s previous 10-game walk streak (5/5-5/15) matched a career-high (4/15-4/25, 2015) and a Nationals high (2005-pres.)…The record for consecutive games with a walk in franchise history is 11 (Peter Bergeron, 4/5-16, 2002)…In addition, Harper’s is the longest streak in MLB this year behind Mets 3B David Wright (11, 4/27-5/12).
- Harper has taken at least one walk in 22 of the 39 games he’s played in this season.
- The 2015 NL MVP is also tied for first in the National League with nine go-ahead RBI this year, and tied for fourth with five game-winning RBI.
- Harper leads the Major Leagues in on-base percentage (.455), walks (45) and intentional walks (11)…He also ranks in the NL in OPS (2nd, 1.040), home runs (T3rd, 11), RBI (T5th, 29) and slugging percentage (6th, .585).
Nationals RHP Shawn Kelley is one of only two relievers in MLB who has pitched at least 10.0 innings and is yet to allow an earned run…Kelley, who signed a three-year contract with Washington this offseason, is 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 18 appearances (14.0 IP) this season…He has struck out 20 batters against just two walks (one of which was intentional) and surrendered 10 hits…SDP RHP Fernando Rodney (16 G, 16.0 IP, 10 SV) is Kelley’s only company.
Washington Nationals (23-15) at New York Mets (21-16)
RHP Max Scherzer [4-2, 4.15] | RHP Noah Syndergaard [3-2, 2.53]
Tuesday, May 17 l Game #39 / Road #20 l Citi Field l New York, N.Y. l 7:10 P.M.
Television: MASN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
The Nationals head back out on the road for six games, visiting New York for three against the Mets and then traveling to Miami for a weekend set…The Nationals have played to an 11-8 record on the road in 2016…Since the start of the 2014 season, Washington is 14-6 at Citi Field.
TIME FOR THE ENCORE
Nationals RHP Max Scherzer joined an exclusive club on Wednesday night vs. the Detroit Tigers as he became just the fourth pitcher in Major League history to strike out 20 batters in a nine-inning game…Scherzer joined Randy Johnson (May 8, 2001), Kerry Wood (May 6, 1998) and Roger Clemens (Sept. 18, 1996 & April 29, 1986) in the elite group…Scherzer’s 20 K’s are a Nationals record (2005-pres.), a franchise record (Nationals/Expos) and the most in D.C.-baseball history since Tom Cheney struck out 21 batters on Sept. 12, 1962 at Baltimore, but in 16 innings…In Scherzer’s three historic performances with WSH (two no-hitters, 20-K game), he has combined for 47 strikeouts and no walks.
- Making his first start since striking out 20, Scherzer’s encore will be closely watched…Via ESPN Stats & Information, three of the previous four pitchers to strikeout 20 batters in a game followed it up with a double-digit strikeout total in the next outing…Wood currently owns the modern MLB record for strikeouts in a two-game span with 33…CLE RHP Corey Kluber holds the record among active players with 30.
- Scherzer, who in 2015 became just the fifth pitcher in MLB history to throw two no-hitters in the same regular season, now joins Randy Johnson as the only pitchers in MLB history to have a no-hitter and a 20-strikeout game on his resume.
- Perhaps most remarkable about Scherzer’s performance on Wednesday was his strike efficiency…Of the 119 pitches he threw, 96 were strikes (80.7%)…Per Elias, that is the highest percentage of pitches that were strikes in an outing of at least 110 pitches since 94 of 114 (82.5%) of Curt Schilling’s pitches were in the zone on Sept. 20, 2002 vs. COL.
- The 23 total balls (of his 119 pitches) were the fewest ever thrown in a 20-strikeout game, nine fewer than Randy Johnson’s 32: Scherzer: 23; Johnson: 32; Wood: 38 ; Clemens (2nd): 50; Clemens: 41…Scherzer had nearly as many swings against pitches out of the strike zone (19) as he had total balls in the game.
- In addition, Scherzer’s complete game win over Detroit gave him at least one win over all 30 teams in Major League Baseball…He joins RHP John Lackey as the only active players to accomplish that feat.
THE MULTI-TALENTED MURPHY
Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy is leading the Major Leagues with 19 multi-hit games this season…Having played in 37 of the Nationals’ 38 games, Murphy has at least two hits in more than half of the games he’s played in…He has also hit safely in 14 of his last 17 games, going 29-for-67 (.432) with six doubles, three homers, 14 RBI and 12 runs scored in that stretch.
- Murphy leads Major League Baseball in batting average (.400), hits (56), and multi-hit games (19)…He also ranks among MLB hitters in OPS (4th, 1.062), slugging percentage (6th, .629), doubles (T7th, 13), and on-base percentage (7th, .433).
- On the season, Murphy has hit safely in 31 of his 37 games played.
WALKIN’ THE WALK
Nationals RF Bryce Harper walked in the first inning on Sunday, giving him 10 straight games with at least one four-ball pass to first base…The 10-game stretch matches a career-high for Harper (April 15-25, 2015) and a Nationals high (2005-pres.)…The record for consecutive games with a walk in franchise history is 11 (Peter Bergeron, 4/5-16, 2002)…In addition, Harper’s is the longest streak in MLB this year behind Mets 3B David Wright (11, 4/27-5/12).
- Harper smashed his 11th home run of the season on Friday night, breaking a 2-2 tie and putting the Nationals ahead, 4-2…Harper is tied for first in the Major Leagues with nine go-ahead RBI this year, and tied for third with five game-winning RBI…Per the Elias Sports Bureau, it was Harper’s MLB-best fourth home run this season on a full-count pitch.
- Harper leads the National League in OPS (1.066), on-base percentage (.456), walks (41) and intentional walks (11)…He also ranks in the NL in home runs (T3rd, 11), RBI (T4th, 29) and slugging percentage (6th, .611).
- In 11 games dating to May 4 at Kansas City, Harper is hitting .304 (7-for-23) with two homers, five RBI, 24 walks, one stolen base and eight runs scored…He has posted a .653 OBP in this stretch and has reached base safely in all 11 games.
Nationals RF Bryce Harper joined supermodel Gigi Hadid and actor Andy Samberg on the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on Monday night to play a hilarious game of Catchphrase.
Watch the video below to see who wins, and be sure check out a few behind-the-scenes pictures from the show!
April 28, 2012 – Bryce Harper made a memorable MLB debut at Dodger Stadium. In an intense contest, Harper went 1-for-3 with a seventh-inning double off Chad Billingsley and one RBI, which came via a go-ahead sac fly in the ninth inning. However, the Dodgers tied the game with two runs in the bottom of the ninth and won it in the 10th on Matt Kemp’s solo blast, his team-record 11th April homer.
April 28, 2015 – Dan Uggla’s towering three-run home run off Atlanta closer Jason Grilli capped Washington’s 13-12 come-from-behind win at Turner Field. Trailing 9-1 and 10-2 at different points in the game, the Nationals mounted the largest comeback win in Nationals history (2005-pres.). A.J. Cole made his MLB debut, but only lasted two innings before giving way to the Nationals’ bullpen.