Results tagged ‘ Bartolo Colon ’
Washington Nationals (24-16) at New York Mets (22-17)
RHP Stephen Strasburg [6-0, 2.95] | RHP Matt Harvey [3-5, 4.93]
Thursday, May 19 l Game #41 / Road #22 l Citi Field l New York, N.Y. l 7:10 P.M.
Television: MASN/MLBN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
BEST. START. EVER.
The Nationals reached the approximate quarter pole of the season on Wednesday night, and their 7-1 victory over the Mets sealed the best start in Nationals history (2005-present) through the season’s first 40 games…No previous Nationals team won as many as 24 of its first 40 games (2015 & 2012 teams went 23-17).
- The Nationals will look to take the series here in New York Thursday night before traveling to Miami for a weekend set…The Nationals have played to a 12-9 record on the road in 2016…Since the start of the 2014 season, Washington is 15-7 at Citi Field.
SO…WHAT BRINGS YOU TO FIRST BASE TODAY?
The Nationals matched a club record (2005-present) and re-set their season high with 11 walks in Wednesday night’s game, including five issued by Mets RHP Bartolo Colon, who hadn’t walked back-to-back batters in nine years but did it twice in Washington’s 7-1 victory…The 11 free passes to first base were the Nationals’ most since Aug. 9, 2006 vs. Florida.
- The Nationals, who also struck out 11 times, are the first team to post at least 11 walks and 11 strikeouts in a nine-inning game since the Mets did so vs. the Chicago Cubs in 2007, per the Elias Sports Bureau.
A WALK. I WALKED.
Nationals RF Bryce Harper’s streak of walks in 10 straight games may have come to an end on Tuesday night, but he was right back at it on Wednesday, walking four times for the fourth time in his career (second time this season: 6 at CHI)…Harper, who leads the Major Leagues in walks with 45, has now drawn 28 walks in his last 12 games alone…According to Elias, the only other player in modern MLB history (since 1900) with 28 walks in a 12-game span was Barry Bonds in 2004…Bonds did so several times that season, reaching a high of 30 BB.
- Harper’s previous 10-game walk streak (5/5-5/15) matched a career-high (4/15-4/25, 2015) and a Nationals high (2005-pres.)…The record for consecutive games with a walk in franchise history is 11 (Peter Bergeron, 4/5-16, 2002)…In addition, Harper’s is the longest streak in MLB this year behind Mets 3B David Wright (11, 4/27-5/12).
- Harper has taken at least one walk in 22 of the 39 games he’s played in this season.
- The 2015 NL MVP is also tied for first in the National League with nine go-ahead RBI this year, and tied for fourth with five game-winning RBI.
- Harper leads the Major Leagues in on-base percentage (.455), walks (45) and intentional walks (11)…He also ranks in the NL in OPS (2nd, 1.040), home runs (T3rd, 11), RBI (T5th, 29) and slugging percentage (6th, .585).
Nationals RHP Shawn Kelley is one of only two relievers in MLB who has pitched at least 10.0 innings and is yet to allow an earned run…Kelley, who signed a three-year contract with Washington this offseason, is 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 18 appearances (14.0 IP) this season…He has struck out 20 batters against just two walks (one of which was intentional) and surrendered 10 hits…SDP RHP Fernando Rodney (16 G, 16.0 IP, 10 SV) is Kelley’s only company.