Thanks to all who have already joined the fun this month as we count down the final days until the 2014 season by giving away a prize a day to all Full, Half and Partial Season Plan Holders who renew or purchase new 2014 Season Plans this month.
If you’ve already renewed, you’re already entered. And as the days dwindle before the 2014 season kicks off, the prizes get even more fantastic.
To enter, just visit nationals.com/marchtobaseball. Don’t miss out!
Congratulations to our latest winners…
March 14: Billy Joel Concert Tickets and Parking — Cathy A. from Annandale, VA
March 15: View batting practice with Nationals hitting coach Rick Schu — Stu S. from McLean, Va.
March 16: Two Club Level tickets and $50 NatsBucks — John F. from Bethesda, Md.
March 17: Visit the MASN broadcast booth with Bob Carpenter and F.P Santangelo — Mike M. from Quantico, Va.
March 18: Have your catered birthday party at Nationals Park — James S. from Germantown, Md.
March 19: Deliver the Nationals’ lineup card to the umpires before a game — Cynthia C. from Herndon, Va.
March 20: Wave the GEICO flag during the Presidents Race — Rob S. from Washington, D.C.
March 21: Autographed Bryce Harper jersey — Kesh T. from McLean, Va.
March 22: Sit at a table at the annual Board of Trade Welcome Back luncheon — Kathleen S. from Fairfax, Va.
March 23: Announce “PLAY BALL!” before a game — Dave B. from Arlington, Va.
March 24: Two Gold Glove Club tickets and a parking pass — Dave S. from Vienna, Va.
Thanks to all who have already joined the fun this month as we count down the final days until the 2014 season by giving away a prize a day to all Full, Half and Partial Season Plan Holders who renew or purchase new 2014 Season Plans this month. If you’ve already renewed, you’re already entered and the prizes continue to get better from here!
Congratulations to our latest winners!
March 7: Two tickets to Jason Aldean’s July 25 show at Nationals Park, along with parking — Lee B. from Falls Church
March 8: $500 Bonus eCash — George M. from McLean
March 9: A visit from Screech during an in-game inning break — Mark B. from Arlington
March 10: Two Club 3 tickets and parking — George J. from McLean
March 11: Take part in on-field batting practice — Bill O. from Washington, D.C.
March 12: Have your child announce the batting order during a game — Thomas H. from Washington, D.C.
March 13: A Ryan Zimmerman autographed bat — Johnny R. from Washington, D.C.
Let me start by stating that things could not be better here in Viera. The weather is wonderful, the workouts are crisp and the results have been encouraging. Yes, a team’s Grapefruit League winning percentage can, at times, be misleading, but winning games is always better than the alternative.
Seven wins, four losses and a tie. But what is most encouraging is how Manager Matt Williams has them playing the game. I love the aggressive base running. Taking an extra base. How fantastic was it to see Danny Espinosa score from second base on Saturday on a dribbler back to the pitcher? This brand of baseball really is infectious.
Fifteen home runs in 12 games. Only five allowed. That’s a good ratio.
Strong offensive starts from stalwarts like Ian Desmond (.286, 2 HR, 3 RBI), Adam LaRoche (2 HR, 4 RBI), Wilson Ramos (.474, HR, 10 RBI) and Ryan Zimmerman (.389, HR, 2 RBI) among others.
And many of our young players are making their marks. Zach Walters is hitting .615 with four extra-base hits and five RBI. He is as hot as anyone. Brian Goodwin and Michael A. Taylor have each made memorable catches in the outfield. Matt Skole hit .357 and four of his five hits went for extra bases before he was assigned to Minor League camp earlier this week so that he can get additional at-bats.
- I have not even mentioned the pitching. There truly are too many to name, but I’ll risk mentioning three standouts: Taylor Jordan (team-leading 11 strikeouts), Jerry Blevins (3.2 hitless innings) and A.J. Cole (6.2 scoreless innings).
- Forgive me if I think it is 2005 all over again watching Jamey Carroll and Luis Ayala perform admirably as they battle for roster spots. Jamey’s approach at the plate (.333 OBP), base running and defensive versatility are all a real plus. Meanwhile, Luis can throw a strike whenever he needs to. He has that same veteran savvy gene our friend Livan Hernandez had during his playing days.
- And Matt Williams? What’s not to like? Crisp, precise and purposeful baseball usually yields wins. I love what Matt brings to our dugout and clubhouse. I especially like how our team has taken to his aggressive nature.
- I was pleased to see President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Mike Rizzo sign Michael Gonzalez to a Minor League deal last weekend. Gonzalez was a big part of our bullpen’s success in 2012 and there are very few southpaw relievers who can match his experience in tight situations. Welcome back Michael!
- I just counted. Only three of the club’s 18 errors have been committed by players who were “regulars” in Washington last season. And one of those miscues was charged to Mr. Perfect, Denard Span! Remember, Denard did not commit an error last season. As I have said before, he should have won a Gold Glove!
- I’d like to thank all of our fans in Central Florida, but especially those from our local area on the Space Coast (Viera, Melbourne and Rockledge). The crowds for the Cardinals and Yankees games in the last week were the two largest we have ever enjoyed hosting.
- As for our fans from back home, I’ve had quite a few friends remark upon arrival in Viera about the significant pockets of Nationals fans on their flights from DC to Orlando. It’s hard to ignore all the smiles and Curly W shirts, sweaters and hats. It is great to see so many of our fans catching on to just how special Spring Training is.
Until next time …
The first week of the Washington Nationals’ March to Baseball is complete and that means we have our first batch of lucky winners.
Thanks to all who have already joined the fun this month as we count down the final days until the 2014 season by giving away a prize a day to all Full, Half and Partial Season Plan Holders who renew or purchase new 2014 Season Plans this month. If you’ve already renewed, you’re already entered and the prizes only get better from here!
March 1: Personalized Nationals jersey — Keith K. from Alexandria, Va.
March 2: PNC Diamond Club tickets & parking — Shannon H. from D.C.
March 3: A visit to the Nationals’ broadcast booth with Charlie Slowes & Dave Jageler — Kenneth S. from D.C.
March 4: Join the Nationals’ grounds crew for a day — John T. from Gaithersburg, Md.
March 5: Take the field before a game and be honored on NatsHD — Nathan R. From Alexandria, Va.
March 6: An official MLB baseball signed by Stephen Strasburg — David U. from D.C.
There are still plenty of fantastic prizes left up for grabs, so don’t miss out on your chance to join the March to Baseball!