Nationals Game Notes: September 16 at Atlanta Braves
Washington Nationals (87-59) at Atlanta Braves (56-90)
RHP Max Scherzer [16-7, 2.78] | RHP John Gant [1-3, 4.40]
Friday, September 16 l Game #147 / Road #73 l Turner Field l Atlanta, GA l 7:35 P.M.
Television: MASN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
ONE LAST TREK
Washington embarks on its final road trip of the 2016 regular season, a nine-game swing that begins this weekend in Atlanta…The 11-day trip will take them from Atlanta to Miami for three games, before finishing up the 2016 regular-season road slate with a three-game weekend series in Pittsburgh.
- The Nationals’ current .569 (41-31) road winning percentage is the second-best in Nationals history (2005-pres.) behind the 2012 Nationals (48-33, .593)…The 41 road wins thus far are third-most in WSH history behind the 2012 Nationals (48) and the 2014 Nationals (45).
WHERE THINGS STAND
At 87-59 (.596), the Nationals boast the second-best record in the Major Leagues, trailing only the Chicago Cubs (93-53, .637)…Washington ranks second in the National League with a +152 run differential.
- The Nationals have won 12 of their last 16 and since August 29, boast the best record in Major League Baseball (12-4, .750).
- Entering play on Friday, Washington’s “magic number” to clinch the National League East division title is seven.
RO-ARK DE TRIOMPHE
RHP Tanner Roark earned his 15th win of the season on Wednesday, matching a career-high (2014)…He tossed 7.0 shutout innings over the Mets, marking his ninth outing of 7.0 (or more) shutout innings — the most such starts in Major League Baseball and most in a single season in Nationals history (2005-pres.)…Over his last four starts, Roark has recorded a 1.08 ERA (3 ER/25.0 IP) with a 2-1 record.
STREAKS ON STREAKS
Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy has hit safely in 12 straight games dating to Sept. 2…During the streak, Murphy is hitting .422 (19-for-45) with seven doubles, four RBI, four walks, two stolen bases and seven runs scored.
- Murphy has recorded four hitting streaks of at least 11 games this season, tied for the most in Major League Baseball (also: BOS 2B Dustin Pedroia).
- With a single on Wednesday vs. NYM, Murphy recorded at least one hit in all 19 games against his former club in 2016…According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the 19-game streak matched the longest single-season hitting streak by a player versus one team in the divisional play era (since 1969)…Derek Lee had a 19-game hitting streak for the Cubs against the Cardinals in 2004 and Jose Altuve had a 19-game streak versus the A’s in 2014.
2B Daniel Murphy is approaching two Nationals (2005-pres.) single-season records…With 181 hits, he is just three shy of tying Denard Span’s record for hits in a season (184, 2014)…Additionally, his 45 doubles are two shy of Ryan Zimmerman’s record of 47 (2006).
- Murphy leads the Major Leagues in batting average (.348), and leads the NL in slugging percentage (.598), OPS (.991), doubles (45) and multi-hit games (55)…He ranks among NL hitters in hits (2nd, 181), RBI (2nd, 102) and extra-base hits (T2nd, 75).