Nationals Game Notes: September 14 vs. New York Mets
New York Mets (77-68) vs. Washington Nationals (86-59)
RHP Robert Gsellman [2-1, 3.92] | RHP Tanner Roark [14-8, 2.85]
Wednesday, September 14 l Game #146 / Home #74 l Nationals Park l Washington, D.C. l 4:05 P.M.
Television: MASN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
The Nationals staged a dramatic ninth-inning comeback on Tuesday, tallying two runs off Mets closer RHP Jeurys Familia and handing him just his fourth blown save in 52 chances this season, but their comeback was thwarted by a solo home run off the bat of Mets rookie 2B T.J. Rivera in the 10th as New York won, 4-3…The Nationals’ magic number to clinch their third National League East title in the last five seasons sits at nine entering play on Wednesday.
- At 86-59 (.593), the Nationals boast the second-best record in the National League, trailing only the Chicago Cubs (92-52, .639)…WSH ranks 2nd in the NL with a +151 run differential.
- Washington’s 45-28 (.616) home record is good for the third-best mark in the National League, behind only the Cubs (51-20, .718) and the Dodgers (47-27, .635)…With just 17 games left in the regular season, Washington will play eight of them at Nationals Park.
Nationals Bench Coach Chris Speier will manage the club for Wednesday’s series finale
against the Mets…Speier has managed nearly 500 games in the Minor Leagues…Manager Dusty Baker will not be with the team due to a death in the family…Baker is expected to rejoin the Nationals before Friday’s game in Atlanta.
‘MET’ WITH LITTLE RESISTANCE
Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy ignited Washington’s ninth-inning comeback with an infield
single…Adding that to his double in the sixth inning, Murphy went 2-for-5 on Tuesday, his 55th multi-hit game of the season…Murphy now has at least one hit in all 18 games the Nationals have played against the Mets this season, and is hitting .411 with six doubles, seven home runs, 21 RBI, four walks and 14 runs scored against his former team this season…Murphy’s 18-game hitting streak is the longest single-season streak against the Mets in history, topping the 17-game streaks put together by Rennie Stennett (1974), Luis Castillo (2002), and Dee Gordon (2015)…According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Murphy is the first player to post a single-season hitting streak of at least 18 games against the team for which he played the previous season since the Tigers’ George Kell’s 20-game run vs. the Philadelphia A’s in 1947.
- Murphy’s 45 doubles this season are the most in a single-season by a second baseman in Nationals history (2005-present)…Mark Grudzielanek (54, 1997) holds the franchise record (Nationals/Expos) for doubles in a season by a second baseman.
- Murphy is the first Nationals player to tally 100 RBI since 1B Adam LaRoche drove in 100 in 2012, the fourth ever…Murphy also joined Ryan Zimmerman (2006, 110; 2009, 106), and Adam Dunn (2009, 105; 2010, 103) in the Nationals’ (2005-pres.) history books.
- Murphy leads the Major Leagues in batting average (.347), and leads the NL in slugging percentage (.598), OPS (.990), doubles (45), hits (180), extra-base hits (T1st, 75), and multi-hit games (55)…He also ranks among NL hitters in RBI (2nd, 102).