Nationals Game Notes: September 2 at New York Mets
Washington Nationals (78-55) at New York Mets (69-65)
RHP A.J. Cole [0-1, 4.97] | RHP Noah Syndergaard [12-7, 2.55]
Friday, September 2 l Game #134 / Road #70 l Citi Field l New York, N.Y. l 7:10 P.M.
Television: MASN2/WUSA9 l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
IN A NEW YORK STATE OF MIND
The Nationals open a three-game set with the New York Mets on Friday night, closing out this six-game, seven-day divisional road trip with this series…Washington began this trip with a three-game sweep of the Philadelphia Phillies, their third consecutive sweep of the Phillies this season…The Nationals’ 2-1 victory at Citizens Bank Park on Wednesday was their franchise record (Nationals/Expos) ninth straight win over Philadelphia.
- In 13 games against the Mets this year, Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy has hit .423 with seven home runs and 21 RBI, while collecting at least one hit in every game…Via the Elias Sports Bureau, not since Roger Maris drove in 27 runs for NYY against OAK in 1960 has any player driven in as many as Murphy’s 21 in their first season vs. their old team…Murphy joined Tony Gwynn as the only players with a hit in each of his first 13 career games against the Mets.
- On Thursday, Sept.1, the Nationals enjoyed their first off day since Aug. 11, concluding a stretch of 20 games in 20 days…Washington went 11-9 in that stretch.
- At 78-55 (.586), the Nationals boast the second-best record in the National League, trailing only the Cubs (86-47, .647)…WSH ranks 2nd in MLB with a +141 run differential.
- Since August 10, the Nationals rank second in the National League in runs scored (117) while ranking second in AVG (.277).
HOMERS ON PARADE
Nationals LF Jayson Werth hit his 20th home run of the season on Wednesday, staking the Nationals to a 1-0 lead in the first inning and making him the fifth Nationals player to cross the 20-homer threshold this season…He joined 2B Daniel Murphy (25), RF Bryce Harper (23),C Wilson Ramos (20), and SS Danny Espinosa (20).
- Washington and Baltimore are the only teams in the Major Leagues to boast five players with 20 home runs this season.
- The five 20-homer players is the most the Nationals have had since 2013 when Ian Desmond, Harper, Adam LaRoche, Jayson Werth, and Ryan Zimmerman all hit 20 or more.
- The home run was Werth’s eighth in August, tying his career high (Sept., 2010), and his highest total for any calendar month as a member of the Nationals (2011-present).
Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy leads the National League in slugging percentage (.600), doubles (38), and multi-hit games (51)…He also ranks among NL hitters in batting average (2nd, .341), OPS (.984), RBI (2nd, 98), extra base hits (T3rd, 68), hits (T2nd, 162), and on-base percentage (11th, .384), among other categories.
- Murphy ranks 2nd in MLB with 30 go-ahead RBI & is tied for 3rd with 16 game-winning RBI.
- With 98 RBI this season, Murphy is two shy of becoming the sixth player in Nationals history (2005-pres.) to post 100 RBI in a season (most recently 1B Adam Laroche 100, 2012).