Nationals Game Notes: August 30 at Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Nationals (76-55) at Philadelphia Phillies (60-71)
RHP Max Scherzer [14-7, 2.92] | RHP Jerad Eickhoff [9-12, 3.87]
Tuesday, August 30 l Game #132 / Road #68 l Citizens Bank Park l Philadelphia, P.A. l 7:05 P.M.
Television: MASN2 l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
HOME AWAY FROM HOME
The Nationals opened their six-game, seven-day road trip with a 4-0 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies at Citizens Bank Park on Monday night, improving to 6-1 at CBP this season…The win was Washington’s 10th shutout victory of the year, tied with CLE and NYM for the fourth-most in the Major Leagues…The win was the Nationals’ seventh straight over the Phillies, the second time in Nationals history (2005-pres.) that the club has posted that many consecutive victories over Philadelphia (also Aug. 21, 2011-May 5, 2012).
- On Sept. 1, the Nationals will enjoy their first off day since Aug. 11, concluding a stretch of 20 games in 20 days, during which they are currently 9-9.
- At 76-55 (.580), the Nationals boast the second-best record in the National League, trailing only the Cubs (83-47, .638)…WSH ranks 2nd in MLB with a +139 run differential.
- Since August 10, WSH leads MLB in runs scored (112) while ranking second in AVG (.285).
IF YOU DON’T KNOW, NOW YOU KNOW
Nationals RHP Tanner Roark threw 7.0 shutout innings again on Monday night, the eighth time this season he has posted 7.0 (or more) scoreless innings — most among all Major League starters…Roark, who has started six of the Nationals’ 10 shutouts this year, improved to 14-7 with a 2.87 ERA in the win…That’s the best ERA on the Nationals’ starting staff and the 10th-best mark in the Major Leagues (8th in the NL).
- According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Roark’s eight starts with 7.0 or more scoreless innings ties the most in a single season in franchise history (Nationals/Expos), joining RHP Javier Vazquez in the record books…Vazquez posted eight such starts for MON in 2001.
- Monday’s outing was the 16th time (in 27 starts) that Roark has pitched at least 7.0 innings…Only teammate RHP Max Scherzer (17) and CWS LHP Chris Sale (18) have done it more often this year (DET RHP Justin Verlander has also posted 7.0 or more 16 times).
Nationals C Wilson Ramos hit his 20th home run of the season on Sunday, making him the fourth Nationals player to cross the 20-homer threshold this season…He joined 2B Daniel Murphy (25), RF Bryce Harper (23), and SS Danny Espinosa (20).
- WSH and COL are the only teams in the NL to boast four players with 20 home runs this season…They are joined in the AL by Baltimore (5), Texas (4) and Toronto (4).
- The four 20-homer players is the most the Nationals have had since 2013 when Ian Desmond, Harper, Adam LaRoche, Jayson Werth, and Ryan Zimmerman all hit 20 or more.
- Nationals LF Jayson Werth smacked his 19th home run of the season in the first inning on Monday night, his seventh home run in August and third in his last four games…Should Werth also cross the 20-homer threshold, the Nationals will join the Orioles as the only teams in MLB with five 20-homer players…The seven HR in August tie Werth’s highest total for any calendar month as a member of the Nationals (also July, 2013 & Sept., 2015).