Nationals Game Notes: August 17 at Colorado Rockies
Washington Nationals (70-48) at Colorado Rockies (57-63)
RHP Stephen Strasburg [15-3, 3.07] | RHP Jon Gray [8-5, 4.26]
Wednesday, August 17 l Game #119 / Road #60 l Coors Field l Denver, CO l 1:10 P.M. (MT)
Television: MASN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
The Nationals and Rockies will meet for a rubber match Wednesday afternoon at Coors Field before Washington will head to Atlanta to open a four-game divisional set…The Rockies topped the Nationals, 6-2, in a rain-interrupted affair on Tuesday night.
- At 70-48 (.593), the Nationals’ record is the second-best mark in Major League Baseball, trailing only the Chicago Cubs (75-43, .636)…The Nationals join the Chicago Cubs and Texas Rangers as the only 70-win teams in the Major Leagues…Reaching the 70-win mark on Monday, in game No. 117, the 2016 Nationals are the fastest in club history to that total since the 2012 Nationals picked up win No. 70 in game No. 113.
- WSH also ranks second in MLB with a +139 run differential, behind only the Cubs (+201).
- As a team, the Nationals rank in the top five among National League clubs in home runs (2nd, 156), runs scored (4th, 558), and walks (4th, 407)…Washington’s 888 strikeouts, as a club, are the second-fewest in the National League.
ALONE AT THE TOP
With a single to center field in the third inning on Tuesday night, Nationals LF Jayson Werth extended his career-best on-base streak to 44 games, setting a new Nationals record (2005-present) for the longest on-base streak in club history…Werth surpassed 1B Ryan Zimmerman, who reached base in 43 consecutive games from April 8 – May 25, 2009.
- Werth is now chasing Rusty Staub (46) for the longest on-base streak in franchise history (Nationals/Expos)…His 44-game run ties Tim Raines for the second-longest streak in franchise history, however, the streaks put together by both Staub and Raines spanned multiple seasons — Raines from 1985-86, Staub from 1969-70.
- This is the longest on-base streak in MLB this season and the longest since CIN 1B Joey Votto reached base in 48 straight games from Aug. 11-Oct. 2, 2015.
- During this stretch, Werth has collected 41 hits (13 2B, 6 HR) & 31 walks (.384 OBP)…Werth also clubbed his fourth home run in his last 10 games on Monday night and is hitting .308 with a .668 slugging percentage in that stretch.
HOT CORNER HEAT
Since July 16, 3B Anthony Rendon is hitting .323 (30-for-93) with 10 doubles, six homers, 21 RBI, nine walks, three stolen bases and 13 runs scored…He has struck out just 13 times in 105 plate appearances over this stretch.
- Rendon went 3-for-4 with a double on Tuesday, his 28th two-bagger of the season…Rendon is now tied with CHI 3B Kris Bryant for the most doubles from the hot corner in the NL.
With an RBI-single in the fifth inning on Monday, 2B Daniel Murphy drove in his 87th run of the season, extending his career high…Over his last five games, Murphy is 7-for-18 (.389) with two multi-hit games, three extra-base hits, and six RBI.
- Murphy leads the National League in batting average (.348), slugging percentage (.611), OPS (.999), doubles (T1st, 34), multi-hit games (46), go-ahead RBI (27), and game-winning RBI (T1st, 16)…Murphy also ranks among NL hitters in hits (2nd, 146), extra base hits (2nd, 61), and RBI (2nd, 87).