Nationals Game Notes: August 5 vs. San Francisco Giants
San Francisco Giants (62-46) at Washington Nationals (64-44)
RHP Jeff Samardzija [9-7, 4.30] | LHP Gio Gonzalez [6-9, 4.29]
Friday, August 5 l Game #109 / Home #52 l Nationals Park l Washington, D.C. l 7:05 P.M.
Television: MASN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
HEADING HOME WITH A HIT PARADE
The Nationals finished off their three-city, nine-game road trip by sealing a three-game sweep of the Arizona Diamondbacks with an 8-3 victory on Wednesday afternoon at Chase Field…The Nationals’ bats remained the focus as Washington posted 14 hits in the win, bringing their three-day hit total to 48 — tied for the most hits by any team in a three-game series this season (BOS also tallied 48 hits vs. OAK May 9-11).
- This is just the second time in club history (2005-present) that the Nationals have posted 14 hits or more in three consecutive games (also April 18-20, 2006)…The Nationals record for consecutive games with at least 14 hits/game is four, done by the 2012 club June 26-29.
- The sweep was the Nationals’ eighth of the season, their fourth on the road…With the win, the Nationals (64-44, .593) boast the second-best record in Major League Baseball, behind only the Chicago Cubs (66-41, .617).
- WSH ranks second in MLB with a +136 run differential, also behind only CHI (+171).
- The Nationals will open an eight-game homestand Friday evening with the first of three games against the San Francisco Giants…Washington will also welcome Cleveland (two games) and Atlanta (three games) during this stay at Nationals Park.
MURPH = MACHINE
Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy clobbered his 21st home run of the season on Wednesday, part of his 2-for-4 afternoon in Arizona…Murphy, the NL Player of the Month for July, has hit safely in 17 of the 19 games he’s played since July 7…During this current stretch, Murphy is hitting .418 (28-for-67) with nine doubles, one triple, seven home runs, 24 RBI, six walks, one stolen base and 17 runs scored.
- The home run, which put WSH up 2-1 in the eventual 8-3 victory, was Murphy’s 24th go-ahead RBI of the season — tied with LAA’s Albert Pujols for the most in the Major Leagues (and two more than anyone else in the NL).
- Murphy also leads the National League in average (.358), slugging percentage (.630), OPS (1.027), hits (138), doubles (32), extra-base hits (58) and multi-hit games (44).
- In addition to the categories above, Murphy also leads all NL 2B in HR (21) & RBI (80).
LET THE BUFFALO ROAM
Nationals C Wilson Ramos has hit safely in 16 of his last 20 games, including multi-hit efforts in six of his last 12 contests.
- With 16 home runs this season, Ramos has matched his career high of 16 in 2013…His 27 walks this season are the second-most in his career behind his 38 in 2011.
- Ramos ranks third among Major League hitters in batting average (.331; 2nd in NL) and 13th in average with Runners In Scoring Position (.351; 7th in NL).
- He leads all MLB catchers in on-base percentage (.381), slugging percentage (.536) and RBI (59)…He is tied for first among NL catchers (T2nd in MLB) with 16 home runs.
- According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Ramos is on pace to become the second player in the Modern Era (since 1900) to raise his batting average 100 points from one year to the next (min. 500 plate appearances in both seasons)…OF Darin Erstad is the only player to do so…He hit.355 in 2000 for the Angels after hitting .253 for Anaheim in 1999.
IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR JW, HE’S ON BASE
Going 3-for-5 on Tuesday night, Nationals LF Jayson Werth extended his on-base streak to a career-high 35 games…It is the longest active streak in the Major Leagues and the second-longest on-base streak in MLB this season: MIA OF Marcell Ozuna owns the longest streak in MLB in 2016 (36 games, 4/21-5/29).
- During this stretch, Werth has collected 32 hits (11 2B, 3 HR), 26 walks and has posted a .387 on-base percentage.
PITCHERS WHO RAKE
Nationals RHP Max Scherzer struck out 11 and picked up his 12th win of the season with 8.0 strong innings over ARI on Wednesday…Scherzer also added a two-run single in the sixth which, via Elias, made it the second time in his career Scherzer has struck out 10 or more batters and driven in at least two runs in the same game (also 5/26/09)… Scherzer joins Madison Bumgarner as the only active players with multiple games of that type (Bumgarner as one game with at least 10 strikeouts and multiple RBIs in each of the last two seasons).
- The last pitcher with 10 or more strikeouts and more than one RBI in a game in franchies history (Nationals/Expos) was Javier Vazquez (MON vs. MIL, 8/2/03).