Nationals Game Notes: July 31 at San Francisco Giants
Washington Nationals (61-43) at San Francisco Giants (60-44)
LHP Gio Gonzalez [6-8, 4.44] | RHP Matt Cain [2-6, 5.95]
Sunday, July 31 l Game #105 / Road #54 l AT&T Park l San Francisco, Calif. l 1:05 P.M.
Television: MASN2 l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
Prior to Saturday’s 5-3 loss at the hands of the San Francisco Giants, the Washington Nationals acquired All-Star RHP Mark Melancon from the Pittsburgh Pirates, in exchange for LHP Felipe Rivero and Minor League LHP Taylor Hearn.
- Melancon ranks fourth in the National League with 30 saves…He is 1-1 with a 1.51 ERA in 45 games this season.
- Since the start of the 2014 season, Melancon has converted 92.7 percent of his save opportunities, the third-highest mark in MLB behind only BAL LHP Zach Britton (92.9%) and CHI LHP Aroldis Chapman (92.8%)…His 114 saves in that span are the most in MLB.
- Melancon comes to the Nationals on the heels of nearly four seasons as the Pirates closer, in which he’s amassed the fourth-most saves in Pirates history (130)…A three-time All-Star, the right-hander has saved at least 30 games in each of the last three seasons – including an MLB-best 51 in 2015.
WHERE THINGS STAND
The Nationals and Giants square off Sunday afternoon in the fourth game of this four-game set between division leaders…Not only do these clubs lead their respective divisions, Washington (61-43, .587) and San Francisco (60-44, .577) boast two of the top three records in the National League…They trail the Chicago Cubs (62-41, .602).
- Washington ranks second in Major League Baseball with a +114 run differential, behind only the Chicago Cubs (+163).
ALL ABOUT GETTING ON BASE
With a single in the eighth inning on Saturday, Nationals LF Jayson Werth extended his on-base streak to a career-high 33 games…It is tied for the longest active streak in the Major Leagues and is tied for the third-longest on-base streak in MLB this season (BOS 2B Dustin Pedroia, 6/21-pres)…MIA OF Marcell Ozuna owns the longest streak in MLB this season (36 games, 4/21-5/29).
- During this stretch, Werth has collected 28 hits (11 2B, 2 HR), 26 walks and has posted a .383 on-base percentage along the way.