Nationals Game Notes: June 21 at Los Angeles Dodgers
Washington Nationals (43-28) at Los Angeles Dodgers (39-33)
RHP Tanner Roark [6-4, 3.14] | LHP Scott Kazmir [5-7, 4.64]
Tuesday, June 21 l Game #72 / Road #40 l Dodger Stadium l Los Angeles, C.A. l 7:10 P.M.
Television: MASN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
The Nationals and Dodgers will meet for the second game of this three-game set on Tuesday night at Dodger Stadium with Washington looking to snap a three-game losing streak…The Nationals have endured only four skids of three games or more (their longest being four games) this season…Washington split a four-game series with the San Diego Padres over the weekend and have opened this road trip 2-3…After three games here in L.A., the Nationals will travel east to Milwaukee for a weekend set.
- Since May 29, the Nationals have built a National League East division lead from zero to 5.5 games…They’re averaging 5.7 runs per game and outscoring opponents, 119-88.
- At 43-28 (.606), the Nationals have posted their best record through 71 games in club history (2005-pres.), and boast the third-best record in the National League, behind only the San Francisco Giants (44-27, .620) and the Chicago Cubs (47-21, .691)…Washington’s 43-28 record is also the fourth-best record in MLB, behind SFG, TEX (46-25, .648) and CHI.
HE’S NO MISS IOWA
Thrust into a starting role on short notice on Monday night, Nationals RHP Yusmeiro Petit turned in six solid innings of work, holding the Dodgers to three earned runs off five hits and one walk…Petit, who stepped in for RHP Stephen Strasburg (upper back strain), threw as many as six innings for the first time since May 23, 2015…The 94 pitches he threw were his most in an outing since tossing 102 in 6.1 innings of one-run ball at NYY on Sept. 22, 2013.
- According to STATS, LLC., Petit is the first pitcher this season to save a game and start a game in a four-day span…Petit is just the second Nationals pitcher (2005-present) to accomplish that feat, joining RHP Dan Haren, who started vs. SFG on Aug. 15, 2013, picked up a save in an extra-innings contest at ATL on Aug. 17 and started vs. CHI on Aug. 20.
RESPECT THE A.
With a double in the sixth inning off LHP Clayton Kershaw, CF Michael A. Taylor extended his hitting streak in games he starts to 18…Taylor, who is also riding a seven-game traditional hitting streak, is hitting .302 since May 3, with eight doubles, three home runs and eight RBI.
- Taylor put together one of the best games of his young career on Sunday afternoon, going 4-for-4 with two home runs, a double, two RBI and two runs scored at Petco Park…Taylor’s first home run, on the game’s very first pitch, was his third leadoff home run of the season and fifth of his career…His second made Sunday the first multi-homer game of his career…Taylor had posted four hits in a game only once previously, July 25, 2015 at PIT.
- According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Taylor is just the third player in franchise history (Nationals/Expos) to produce four or more hits in a game, including at least two homers, from the leadoff spot…Taylor joined esteemed company in doing so, adding his name to a list that includes Hall-of-Famer Andre Dawson (1979) and Alfonso Soriano (2006).