Nationals Game Notes: May 31 vs. Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Nationals (31-21) at Philadelphia Phillies (26-25)
RHP Joe Ross [4-4, 2.52] | RHP Aaron Nola [4-3, 2.86]
Tuesday, May 31 l Game #53 / Road # 27 l Citizens Bank Park l Philadelphia, P.A. l 7:05 P.M.
Television: MASN2 l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
OFF ON THE RIGHT FOOT
The Nationals opened this three-city, nine-game, 11-day road trip to Philadelphia, Cincinnati and Chicago (White Sox) on Monday night with a 4-3 victory over the Phillies…Trailing, 2-1, entering the eighth inning, the Nationals put together a three-run, two-out rally to take the lead…SS Danny Espinosa, OF Ben Revere, and OF Chris Heisey worked key walks while OF Jayson Werth (game-tying single) and 2B Daniel Murphy (go-ahead two-run single) came through with the big hits…RHP Jonathan Papelbon earned his 14th save of the season.
- This trek is the longest (by days) the Nationals will make this season, matching the final regular-season trip of the year, to Atlanta, Miami, and Pittsburgh.
- The Nationals have played to a 16-10 (.600) record on the road thus far this season, tied with San Francisco for the second-best mark in the NL, behind only Chicago (17-8, .680).
CLOSING IN ON THE RECORD
2B Daniel Murphy has already set and re-set the Nationals record (2005-present) for hits in a month, soaring past the previous high of 40 on Saturday night…Now, with 45 hits in May entering the month’s final day, Murphy is well within striking distance of the franchise record (Nationals/Expos) of 47 for hits in a single month…The franchise record, which has stood for more than 33 years, is held by OF Al Oliver (August, 1982) & OF Marquis Grissom (June, 1994).
- Murphy was 3-for-4 with a double, a home run, three RBI and a run scored on Monday night, bringing his current totals for May to 45-for-109 (.413), with eight doubles, six HR, two walks, 16 runs scored and 22 RBI.
- The 45 hits, a career high in a single month for Murphy (40, July 2011), are also the most recorded by any National League player in any calendar month since Melky Cabrera piled up 51 hits for the San Francisco Giants in May, 2012.
- Murphy currently leads Major League Baseball in multi-hit games (25), batting average (.395) and hits (T1st, 75)…He also ranks among MLB hitters in OPS (2nd, 1.048), slugging percentage (2nd, .621), on-base percentage (3rd, .426) and doubles (T11th, 15).
- Having played in 50 of the Nationals’ 52 games, Murphy has at least two hits in half of the games he’s played in…He has also hit safely in 26 of his last 30 games (including nine straight), going 48-for-117 (.410) with eight doubles, six HR, 24 RBI and 18 runs scored.
Nationals 1B Ryan Zimmerman continued his May revival with his first triple in more than a calendar year (April 15, 2015) on Monday night in Philadelphia…Zimmerman, who hit the first inside-the-park home run of his career on May 15 and posted his first four-hit game since 2014 on May 28, is enjoying the season’s second month…Since May 1, Zimmerman is hitting .262 with a .319 on-base percentage and a .553 slugging percentage…He’s hit seven doubles to go with his seven home runs and one triple, walked eight times, driven in 17 runs, scored 15, and stolen one base…Seven of those 17 RBI have given the Nationals the lead.
- Zimmerman posted the 11th four-hit game of his career on Saturday night, clubbing two home runs, adding two singles and matching a career high with the 4-for-4 evening…He also picked up the 16th multi-homer game of his career (2nd of the season)…It was his first four-hit game since July 5, 2014 vs. the Chicago Cubs.
- Zimmerman now has seven home runs in May after clubbing just one in April.