Nationals Game Notes: May 30 vs. Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Nationals (30-21) at Philadelphia Phillies (26-24)
RHP Tanner Roark [3-4, 2.71] | RHP Jeremy Hellickson [4-3, 3.97]
Monday, May 30 l Game #52 / Road # 26 l Citizens Bank Park l Philadelphia, P.A. l 7:05 P.M.
Television: MASN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
ON THE ROAD AGAIN…
The Nationals open a three-city, nine-game, 11-day road trip to Philadelphia, Cincinnati and Chicago (White Sox) on Monday night against the Phillies…The trek is the longest (by days) the Nationals will make this season, matching the final regular-season trip of the year, to Atlanta, Miami, and Pittsburgh.
- The Nationals have played to a 15-10 (.600) record on the road thus far this season, the third-best mark in the NL, behind only Chicago (17-8, .680) and San Francisco (16-9, .640).
GRAND IN A PINCH
With the bases loaded in the seventh inning on Sunday afternoon against the St. Louis Cardinals, Nationals manager Dusty Baker summoned Jayson Werth as a pinch hitter against LHP Dean Kiekhefer…Werth smashed the second pitch he saw 428 feet into straightaway center field for the first pinch-hit grand slam of his career.
- The home run was the sixth grand slam of Werth’s career and his fourth career pinch-hit home run…It was Werth’s first pinch-hit home run since Sept. 20, 2007.
- It was also just the second pinch-hit grand slam in Nationals history (2005-present), joining Justin Maxwell, who clubbed the first on Sept. 11, 2007 at the Florida Marlins.
Earning the win in the Nationals’ 10-2 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals on Sunday, Nationals RHP Stephen Strasburg extended his winning streak to a franchise record (Nationals/Expos) 12 games, dating to Sept. 15, 2015…The record, which is among starting pitchers, surpassed the 11-game winning streaks of RHP Livan Hernandez (4/4-7/1/05) and RHP Dennis Martinez (5/9-7/29/89).
- In addition, Strasburg’s 9-0 record to start a season topped the 1997 8-0 start of Hall of Fame RHP Pedro Martinez (4/15-5/23/97) for a new franchise record (Nationals/Expos).
- The Nationals are 15-0 in Strasburg’s last 15 starts (also dating to Sept. 15, 2015)…The 15 straight team wins is also a franchise record (Nationals/Expos), and is the second-longest active streak in MLB (CHI RHP Jake Arrietta, 23 games).
FEELING RIGHT AT HOME
Nationals OF Bryce Harper returns to Philadelphia Monday night riding a six-game home run streak (7 HR) at Citizens Bank Park…When the Nationals visited Philly in April, Harper joined Ernie Banks (1955) as the only visiting players to homer in six straight games IN Philadelphia.
- In 31 career games at Citizens Bank Park, Harper is now hitting .325 with four doubles, three triples, 11 home runs, 23 RBI,12 walks, 21 runs scored and four stolen bases.
- Harper also tied the MLB record for any visiting player at any stadium with his sixth straight HR game at CBP…Via the Elias Sports Bureau, the most recent player with HRs six straight road games at one venue was MIA OF Giancarlo Stanton at Coors Field (2011-2012).