Countdown to Taste of the World: Embassy of Guatemala to serve ‘mixtas’
This week, we will be highlighting a selection of recipes on Curly W Live to get fans excited for Saturday’s Taste of the World event. If these recipes are making you hungry, then you are in luck – each of these delicious dishes will all be at Taste of the World for fans to enjoy!
On Saturday, the Embassy of Guatemala will serve mixtas, which is normally served as a Guatemalan street food, and is essentially a hot dog in a taco, covered in delicious slaw, guacamole, hot sauce and green chiles.
Ingredients & Recipe for Mixtas:
Recipe courtesy of FoodWolf.com
- 1 package of fresh tortillas (corn), heated in microwave in a towel or warmed over gas flame of stove
- 1 package of hot dogs (beef or pork), cooked in boiling water
- Guatemalan slaw (recipe below)
- Guatemalan guacamole (recipe below)
- Hot sauce (Tapatio or Sriracha)
- 1 can of green chili
- 1 bag of shredded cabbage “angel hair” style (or thinly slice half of one cabbage)
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tbs chopped cilantro
- 1 red onion, minced
- 4 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Toss shredded cabbage with the juice of one lime, chopped cilantro and minced red onion. Drizzle with olive oil, enough to just coat the mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2 ripe Haas avocados
- ¼ red onion, minced
- ½ small lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can of green chiles (optional)
Remove meat of the avocado and mash with a fork in a bowl (or on a plate). Mix in the red onion. Squeeze the juice of half a lime over the mixture–the citrus not only flavors the mixture, it keeps the avocado from turning brown. Rub the teaspoon of oregano in your hand to release the herb’s oils and then add to avocado mixture. Add salt to taste.
To make mixtas:
Boil hot dogs in hot water. When done, serve on warm tortillas (double up the tortillas if you prefer) with slaw, guacamole, hot sauce and green chiles. Enjoy!
We hope you’ll join us at Taste of the World to try mixtas from Guatemala and other delicious cuisine!