Nationals Game Notes: May 20 vs. Miami Marlins
Washington Nationals (25-16) at Miami Marlins (21-19)
RHP Tanner Roark [2-3, 3.10] | LHP Justin Nicolino [2-1, 3.75]
Friday, May 20 l Game #42 / Road #23 l Marlins Park l Miami, F.L. l 7:10 P.M.
Television: MASN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
NO NATIONALS LIKE THESE
The Nationals reached the approximate quarter pole of the season this week in New York, taking two of three from the Mets and sealing the best start in Nationals history (2005-present) through the season’s first 41 games…No previous Nationals team won as many as 25 of its first 41 games (2015 & 2012 teams went 24-17)…The 1996 Montreal Expos went 27-14.
- The Nationals continue this six-game road swing Friday night in Miami…Washington has played to a 13-9 record on the road in 2016.
BREAK OUT THE BATS
The Nationals had their longest inning of the season on Thursday night, sending 11 batters to the plate in the top of the third vs. the Mets…The 11 batters produced seven runs, which, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, was the most the franchise (Nationals/Expos) had scored in an inning against the Mets since July 26, 2004 at Montreal, and the highest-scoring inning that any Nationals or Expos team had ever produced in New York.
- Four Nationals (CF Ben Revere, 2B Daniel Murphy, 3B Anthony Rendon, and SS Danny Espinosa) produced multi-hit games as Washington tallied 11 hits one night after registereing 11 walks and 11 strikeouts (Weds. vs. NYM).
- With the win, RHP Stephen Strasburg improved to 7-0 on the season…Washington has won each of Strasburg’s last 13 starts, a franchise record (Nationals/Expos), besting the 12 straight earned when Jordan Zimmermann started from Aug. 2, 2015-April 8, 2015.
HAVE YOU MET MR. MURPHY?
Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy is leading the Major Leagues with 20 multi-hit games this season…Having played in 40 of the Nationals’ 41 games, Murphy has at least two hits in half the games he’s played in…He has also hit safely in 17 of his last 20 games, going 33-for-78 (.423) with seven doubles, four homers, 18 RBI and 14 runs scored in that stretch.
- Murphy leads Major League Baseball in batting average (.397), multi-hit games (20), hits (60), OPS (1st, 1.065)…He also ranks among MLB hitters in slugging percentage (3rd, .636), doubles (T5th, 14), and on-base percentage (6th, .429).
- On the season, Murphy has hit safely in 34 of his 40 games played.
Since May 9, the Nationals bullpen has posted a 0.68 ERA (2 ER/26.2 IP), 10.5 strikeouts per nine innings, a 3.88 strikeout-to-walk ratio, and has surrendered just three extra base hits (3 doubles)…That is far-and-away the best bullpen ERA in MLB in that stretch (2nd: NYM, 2.05).
- Nationals relievers have also not allowed a single inherited runner to score during this run (17 IR, 0 IRS)…Since May 9, no team in MLB has inherited as many runners without allowing one to score.