Nationals Game Notes: May 15 vs. Miami
Miami Marlins (19-17) vs. Washington Nationals (23-14)
RHP Jose Fernandez [4-2, 3.54] | RHP Joe Ross [3-2, 2.29]
Sunday, May 15 l Game #38 / Home #19 l Nationals Park l Washington D.C. l 1:35 P.M.
Television: MASN2 l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
MORE GAMES, MORE HITS
Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy has hit safely in seven straight and safely in 14 of his last 16 games, going 29-for-66 (.439) with six doubles, three homers, 14 RBI and 12 runs scored in that stretch…He has posted multi-hit efforts in nine of those 16 games and has recorded at least one RBI in eight of the 16.
- Murphy leads Major League Baseball in batting average (.403), hits (56), and multi-hit games (19)…He also ranks among MLB hitters in OPS (4th, 1.069), slugging percentage (6th, .633), doubles (T6th, 13), and on-base percentage (7th, .436).
- On the season, Murphy has hit safely in 31 of his 36 games played.
GO AHEAD, TAKE THE LEAD
Nationals RF Bryce Harper smashed his 11th home run of the season on Friday night, breaking a 2-2 tie and putting the Nationals ahead, 4-2, with his blast to right field…Harper is tied for first in the National League with nine go-ahead RBI this year (PHI Freddy Galvis, 9), and tied for third in the NL with five game-winning RBI…Per the Elias Sports Bureau, it was Harper’s MLB-best fourth home run this season on a full-count pitch.
- Harper leads the National League in OPS (1.088), on-base percentage (.461), walks (40) and intentional walks (11)…He also ranks in the NL in home runs (T2nd, 11), RBI (T4th, 29) and slugging percentage (5th, .627).
- In 10 games dating to May 4 at Kansas City, Harper is hitting .350 (7-for-20) with two homers, five RBI, 23 walks, one stolen base and eight runs scored…He has posted a .689 OBP and has reached base safely in every game over this stretch.
IN A PINCH? CALL THESE GUYS
As a group, Washington pinch hitters rank second in MLB/NL in home runs (6), and third in MLB (second in NL) in slugging percentage (.750)…On the season, the Nationals have 10 pinch hits, with eight of them going for extra bases (2 2B, 6 HR).
- On Friday night vs. MIA, the Nationals, for the first time in team history (2005-present), hit two pinch-hit homers hit in the same game, with Stephen Drew’s blast in the sixth inning tying things up, 2-2, and Chris Heisey’s giving the Nationals an insurance run in the eighth…According to STATS, Inc., the only other time in franchise history (Nationals/Expos) this has been accomplished was July 13, 1973 vs. ATL when Jim Lyttle and Hal Breeden went yard off the bench.