Nationals Game Notes: May 10 vs. Detroit
Detroit Tigers (14-17) vs. Washington Nationals (20-12)
RHP Michael Fulmer [1-1, 6.30] | RHP Joe Ross [3-1, 1.23]
Tuesday, May 10 l Game #33 / Home #14 l Nationals Park l Washington D.C. l 7:05 P.M.
Television: MASN l Radio: 99.1 WDCH & Nationals Radio Network
WALK IT OFF
The Nationals overcame deficits of 2-1 after the fourth inning and 4-1 after the fifth to snap their four-game losing streak in walk-off fashion last night against the Detroit Tigers…Tied at 4-4 in the bottom of the ninth, pinch hitter Clint Robinson clubbed his first career walk-off home run, taking a 1-0 pitch from Mark Lowe just over the right field fence.
- Robinson’s blast was just the second pinch-hit walk-off home run in Nationals history (2005-pres.) joining Michael A. Taylor (9/3/15 vs. ATL) and the second in Major League Baseball this season (SEA Dae-ho Lee, 4/13/16 vs. TEX).
The Washington Nationals agreed to a seven-year contract extension with RHP Stephen Strasburg on Tuesday…Strasburg will remain under contract with the only professional organization he has ever known through the 2023 season…The No. 1 overall selection in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, Strasburg has a career 59-37 record with a 3.07 ERA…An All-Star (2012), as well as a Silver Slugger (2012), Strasburg is currently 5-0 with a 2.76 ERA this season – the 12th-best mark in the National League.
- Since he entered the league in 2010, among pitchers with at least 800 innings under their belts, Strasburg ranks in the top 10 in fielding independent pitching (2nd, 2.80), strikeout-to-walk ratio (3rd, 4.70), opponent on-base percentage (4th, .280), opponent batting average (4th, .227), opponent slugging percentage (5th, .348), hits per nine innings (5th, 7.58), and ERA (7th, 3.07).
- Since his Major League debut on June 8, 2010, no one in the Major Leagues has struck out more batters per nine innings (min. 800 IP) than the Nationals’ right-hander…Strasburg’s career 10.45 strikeouts-per-nine-innings in that time span sits atop a list that follows with CWS LHP Chris Sale (10.20), teammate Max Scherzer (9.94) and LAD LHP Clayton Kershaw (9.89)…Strasburg also ranks second all-time among starters with at least 800 IP in K/9.0 IP, behind Hall of Famer Randy Johnson (10.57).
HITS ON HITS ON HITS
Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy collected his 16th multi-hit game of the season on Monday, going 2-for-4 with a home run, three RBI and one run scored..Murphy’s 16-multi-hit games are tied with Pittsburgh’s Starling Marte for the most in the Major Leagues…The Nationals’ second baseman has hit safely in nine of his last 11 games, going 20-for-45 (.444) with five doubles, three homers, 11 RBI and 11 runs scored…He has posted multi-hit efforts in six of the 11 games and has recorded at least one RBI in seven of the 11.
- Murphy leads MLB in batting average (.398) and also ranks among MLB hitters in OPS (2nd, 1.102), doubles (T5th, 12), OBP (5th, .441) and slugging percentage (6th, .661).
- On the season, Murphy has hit safely in 26 of his 31 games played.