Nationals Game Notes: May 3 at Kansas City
Washington Nationals (18-7) at Kansas City Royals (13-12)
RHP Tanner Roark [2-2, 2.03] | RHP Chris Young [1-4, 6.12]
Tuesday, May 3 l Game #26 / Road #14 l Kauffman Stadium l Kansas City, MO l 7:15 P.M.
Television: MASN2 l Radio: 106.7 FM & Nationals Radio Network
ROLLING RIGHT ALONG
The Nationals extended their winning streak to four straight games with a 2-0 victory over the Kansas City Royals on Monday night at Kauffman Stadium…LHP Gio Gonzalez tossed six scoreless over the defending World Series Champions, while LHP Sammy Solis, RHP Shawn Kelley, LHP Oliver Perez, and RHP Jonathan Papelbon, combined for the final three scoreless frames…The win was the Nationals’fourth shutout of the season and improved their MLB-best team ERA to 2.21.
SPEAKING OF THOSE HEROIC HURLERS…
Through the season’s first 25 games, the Nationals’ pitching staff, as a whole, leads Major League Baseball with the aforementioned 2.21 ERA…The staff also ranks in MLB in opp. slugging percentage (1st, .308), opp. average (2nd, .211), opp. OPS (2nd. 583), opp. OBP (2nd, .275), hits/9.0 innings (2nd, 6.80), WHIP (2nd, 1.05), HR/9.0 innings (2nd, 0.58) and strikeouts (4th, 222).
- The Nationals boast three starting pitchers in the top 10 in ERA in the National League: LHP Gio Gonzalez (2nd, 1.15), RHP Tanner Roark (8th, 2.03) and RHP Stephen Strasburg (9th, 2.25)…Further, RHP Joe Ross, whose 0.79 ERA would rank first in the NL, falls just short of qualifying to be among league leaders (1 IP per team game).
- Since April 23rd, Mike Maddux’s pitching staff leads Major League Baseball with 99 strikeouts, ahead of the Los Angeles Dodgers (88) and Philadelphia Phillies (88).
- In their last turn through the rotation (4/28-5/2), Nationals starters are 4-1 with a 0.82 ERA (3 ER/33.0 IP), striking out 29 batters while walking just seven.
AMONG THE BEST TO EVER DO IT
Locking down the victory with a scoreless ninth inning, Nationals closer Jonathan Papelbon secured his ninth save of the season and the 358th save of his career, tying Troy Percival for the 10th most in baseball history…Among those listed below, Papelbon has the best strikeout-to-walk ratio (4.56) and the third-best ERA+ (184).
ALL-TIME SAVES LEADERS SAVES
1. Mariano Rivero 652
2. Trevor Hoffman 601
3. Lee Smith 478
4. John Franco 424
5. Billy Wagner 422
6. Francisco Rodriguez* 393
7. Dennis Eckersley 390
8. Joe Nathan 377
9. Jeff Reardon 367
T10. Jonathan Papelbon* 358
T10. Troy Percival 358
WELCOME TO THE 1,000 CLUB, MR. MURPHY!
Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy has hit safely in 21 of his 24 games played, including 12 multi-hit efforts, tied for the most in the Major Leagues (Machado, Marte).
- As part of his 3-for-4 effort on Monday night, Murphy notched the 1,000th hit of his career with a double in the sixth inning…According to Stats LLC., Murphy is now the 10th player to collect his 1,000th hit as a member of the Washington Nationals.
- Murphy ranks third in Major League Baseball in batting average (.382) and eighth in on-base percentage (.439).