Nationals Game Notes: May 1 at St. Louis
Washington Nationals (16-7) at St. Louis Cardinals (12-12)
RHP Max Scherzer [2-1, 4.35] | RHP Carlos Martinez [4-0, 1.93]
Sunday, May 1 l Game #24 / Road #12 l Busch Stadium l St. Louis, MO l 1:15 P.M. CT
Television: MASN2 l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
APRIL SHOWERS? NOT SO MUCH
With heavy rainstorms bearing down on the St. Louis Area, the Nationals topped the St. Louis Cardinals, 6-1, Saturday afternoon…In doing so, the Nationals claimed their first series winagainst the Cardinals in St. Louis since May 2007.
• In the win, RHP Joe Ross tossed 6.0 innings of six-hit, one-run ball to earn his third win of the season…The Nationals plated four runs in the first inning, three off the bat of LF Jayson Werth (2-for-3, HR, 4 RBI, R) in the form of a three-run home run.
• According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Ross’s 0.79 earned-run average is the fourth lowest
in Nationals/Expos history through a pitcher’s first four starts of a season, behind Pedro
Martinez (0.31 in 1997, when he won the Cy Young Award), Woodie Fryman (0.55 in
1975), and Steve Rogers (0.77 in 1973).
• With a win today, Washington will complete the first road sweep over the St. Louis Cardinalsin team history (2005-pres.)
• Washington’s 16 wins in April matched an franchise all-time (2005-pres.) high…The 2014 Nationals also won 16 games in March/April.
BEST (NATIONALS) START EVER
At 16-7 (.682), the Nationals boast the second-best record in Major League Baseball (Chicago Cubs, 17-5, .773), and the are in the midst of the best start in Nationals history (2005-pres.) through 23 games.
• Their 16-7 is the best start in Nationals history (2005-pres.) through the first 23 games and is matches the best record in Nationals/Expos history…The 1996 Expos, 1979 Expos and the 1981 Expos were all 16-7…he 1932 Senators boast the best record for a D.C.-based
team through the first 23 games at 18-5.