Nationals Game Notes: April 27 vs. Philadelphia
Philadelphia Phillies (10-10) vs. Washington Nationals (14-5)
RHP Jeremy Hellickson [1-1, 5.21] | LHP Gio Gonzalez [1-0, 1.42]
Wednesday, April 27 l Game #20 / Home #11 l Nationals Park l Washington, D.C.
Television: MASN l Radio: 106.7 The Fan & Nationals Radio Network
WHERE THINGS STAND
At 14-5 (.737), the Nationals boast the second-best record in baseball (Chicago Cubs, 15-5, .750), and they have matched the best start in franchise history through 19 games.
- The 2012 Nationals also began the season 14-5, as did the 1932 Senators (the last D.C.-based team to start as well).
THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN AT THE PLATE
Nationals RF Bryce Harper leads Major League Baseball in RBI (24), slugging percentage (.844), and home runs (9)…Harper also paces the Major Leagues in OPS (1.274).
- When he gets the chance, Harper is making his opportunities with runners on base count in a big way thus far this season…He is 10-for-21 (.476) with nine extra-base hits (four home runs, five doubles) and eight walks (four intentional) when he steps to the plate with men on…During his 2015 NL MVP campaign, Harper batted .336 in those situations, which ranked fifth in MLB.
- However, Harper often does not get the opportunity to do damage, as his four intentional walks rank third in the Major Leagues and second in the NL…His eight walks with runners on base are tied for fourth in the NL.
- Harper, who clubbed the first pinch-hit home run of his career on Sunday with a game-tying blast to leadoff the ninth, posted a career-best eight-game RBI-streak from April 14-21…The eight-game streak is tied for the second-longest in Nationals history (2005-pres.) behind Ryan Zimmerman’s nine-game streak, Sept. 3-12, 2012.
With a 1-for-3 performance on Tuesday night, Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy has now hit safely in 16 of his 18 games played, including an MLB-best 10 multi-hit efforts…He has also reached base safely in 35 of his 75 plate appearances (.465 OBP).
- Murphy leads MLB in batting average (.394), ranks third in MLB (and the NL) in on-base percentage (.467) and is ninth in MLB (eighth in the NL) in slugging percentage (.636).
- From April 7-20, Murphy posted a 12-game hitting streak, matching the longest single-season hitting streak of Murphy’s career, a 12-game run from Sept. 18-Oct. 3, 2015…Murphy does own a 14-game streak, which stretched from the end of the 2013 season (Sept. 19) to the start of 2014 (April 4).