Nationals Game Notes: April 16 at Philadelphia
Washington Nationals (8-1) at Philadelphia Phillies (5-6)
RHP Max Scherzer [1-0, 4.15] | RHP Aaron Nola [0-1, 3.21]
Saturday, April 16 l Game #10 / Road #4 l Citizens Bank Park l Philadelphia, PA
Television: MASN l Radio: 99.1 WDCH & Nationals Radio Network
IT’S NOT HOW YOU START, BUT…
The Nationals pushed their winning streak to six consecutive games on Friday night with a 9-1 win over the Philadelphia Phillies, improving to 8-1 on the season…Owners of the best record in the Major Leagues, the Nationals’ fast start has placed them into the record books:
- The 8-1 start is not only the best in Nationals history (2005-present), but it’s also the best in franchise (Nationals/Expos) history, and the best in D.C. baseball history.
- Both the 1974 Montreal Expos and the 1951 Washington Senators began the season 7-2, the previous best.
…MAYBE IT IS HOW YOU START…
Nationals RHP Joe Ross tossed 7.2 shutout innings on Friday night, making it the fourth straight game a Nationals starter has allowed two earned runs or fewer, and the third in the last four in which they’d not allowed a run.
- Through the season’s first nine games, the Nationals’ starting pitching staff has worked to a Major League-best 2.01 ERA…The next closest team, the Chicago White Sox, has posted a 2.37 ERA.
- Nationals’ starters have been even sharper of late, having allowed just two earned runs in their last 28.1 innings…Nationals starters have averaged 7.0 IP in this stretch and combined on a 0.64 ERA.
…SERIOUSLY, IT’S HOW YOU START
Nationals OF Michael A. Taylor launched his third career leadoff home run on Friday night when he sent Jeremy Hellickson’s second pitch of the game into the left field seats…It was the first game-opening home run for the Nationals this season and keyed a five-run first inning from which Washington did not look back.
- The five-run first marked the Nationals’ season high for runs in an inning and was the first time the Nationals batted around this year.
Learn more about tonight’s match-up, including plenty of pitcher and hitter notes in today’s game notes: