After a 65-day delay…
Today, before they officially kickoff their scheduled 4-game series in Houston, the Nationals and Astros will take the field to complete their suspended game from May 5th at Nationals Park.
Here are some fun facts about the game:
· The game was suspended tied at 10-10 with one out in the bottom of the 11th inning. Josh Willingham is at the plate (no count) with a runner on first. Washington will have to substitute for Elijah Dukes, who was the runner at first base. LaTroy Hawkins is the Astros pitcher in the game.
· The Nationals have three available position players (Josh Bard, Alberto Gonzalez and Nyjer Morgan), but have to substitute two of them for players who are in the lineup but no longer on the roster (Dukes and Jesus Flores).
· The only current reliever not available is Julian Tavarez, as he was already used in the game. Joel Hanrahan (traded to PIT, June 30) was the pitcher for the Nationals at the time the game was suspended.
· On May 5th as members of the Pirates (vs. MIL), Morgan went 1-for-5 and Sean Burnett worked 0.2 perfect inning with the bases loaded.
· The suspended game starts at 7:05 p.m. Thursday’s regularly scheduled game will begin at 8:05 p.m., unless the suspended game ends after 7:45 pm, in which case it will start 20 minutes after the first game ends.